Sunday, March 27, 2011

Random Weird Stuff...

Hola Amigo's!

Couple of strangeness minis here.  First up, from Frothers UK, are a couple of Tank-like (Left 4 Dead) zombies.


They are mounted on bases from Fenris.

Next we have some Lovecraftian monstrosities.

The Son of Yog-Sothoth from Tengu Models


And a close-up of Reaper's Star Spawn (don't tell anyone, it's Cthulhu!)



Not sure why, but all of a sudden I'm craving Calamari.

All the minis were painted using a base color, followed by tons of washes.  I was really just experimenting with it, as it seems to work well for dead or pulpy skin.  Plus, it speeds up the process instead of using the base-shadow- highlight routine.  As I figure these are just 'gaming minis' I'm satisfied with the technique.

Spend most of the day yesterday organizing and cleaning my 'hobby room'.  It's amazing how much crap accumulates in a short while.  Now, if I could only figure out a way to organize my paints, I'd be in better shape.


5 comments:

javi said...

Say what you want about the technique you used here sir, but I'd dare to say those are your best results ever.

Not to offend you but at first I wasn't thinking those were yours.

It's like you achiever to use only 1 color to paint all the mini but then you made it look very rich with lots of different shades to it.

I'm saving those in my computer wich I rarely do.

Maybe you just found an excellent way to do unearthy-undead flesh look utterly convincing.

Oh, L4D tanks was the first that came into my mind when I saw those. They don't look as good as the unspeakable ones but I like how the orange contrasts here. I'm not as fond about their cloths.

Glad to see new stuff from you,

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

You really should post more regularly Supervike. Your stuff is great, I would love to game with it.

Over the years I have tended to paint tentacles and things like that with layered inks, but I have never tried to paint zombies that way.

I would love to see more detail on the work on the Tanks (like the shot of the cthulhu face thing) just to see if I can decipher how you did it :)

Allison M. said...

Amazing! These are a real treat to see :)

Tanks: Horrific, in a good way - the skin really has a bruised look and is that guy's jaw coming off? Ick! These have the mood of the awful _things_ that a zombie game starts throwing at you once you get past the first few levels. I've never played L4D but if this is how it looks, eek!

Yog-Sothothian: again, amazing skin. I feel I can see faint veins in it, if so, well done sir! The eyes peeking out are a nice addition to the bloated monstrousness of it.

Cthulhu: Can we get a wider shot? It looks like you made him pretty colorful, which is a change from the usual muddy green (it's why I added pink of all things). The sigils or signs on his skin could use a white core to make them look truly glowing, if that's the effect you're going for.

supervike said...

Thanks for the great comments folks! Makes it that much more fun if people are looking at what I'm doing.

I'll try and get some more detailed shots of the Tanks as well as a wide shot of Cthulhu.

javi said...

"Makes it that much more fun if people are looking at what I'm doing"

...you little pervy!

I agree that more cthulhu shots will be nice. 1 mini, twice the flavor.